Re: Nested comments, the sequel

1992-02-10 08:09:24
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 10-Feb-92 Re: Nested comments, the se.. Keld J|rn Simonsen(_at_)dkuug (808)

I have suggested privately to Nat that Richtext would
use the Mnemonics for "foreign" characters. MNEMONIC is actually
one of the biggest collections of character names I know of,
and quite readable and transportable compared to other schemes.

I really liked this idea, in fact, and it was a part of a relatively recent version of the MIME document. It was removed when the procedural objections to RFC-MNEMONIC began to seem like they could hold up MIME entirely. Personally, while I'm not sure that MNEMONIC is right for all circumstances (e.g. Japanese) it seems like an extremely reasonable way to add multi-characterset text to richtext. When I took it out for what I saw as procedural reasons, it was with regret, and with the (continuing) hope that something like it can be restored eventually, perhaps in the much-vaunted "son-of-richtext" some day... -- Nathaniel