NETF conclusions on MIME and Mnemonic

1992-03-10 05:49:59
The Nordunet Engineering Task Force working group on MHS has met in
Turku, Finland, on Monday, March 9th.
We discussed the problems that have arisen over the relationship
between MIME and MNEMONIC, and came to the following conclusions:

- We will NOT object to MIME as it stands; that is, it is NOT a show-
  stopper for NETF that MIME does not mention MNEMONIC.
- We will ask the IESG to do what it can to push forward the publication
  of RFC-CHAR and RFC-MNEM in a way that allows them to be referenced by
  Internet Standards.
  When MIME is reviewed again in 6 months, we MAY then ask for its inclusion
  without any procedural problems.
- In order to ease work with "near-ASCII" character sets like MNEMONIC,
  we ask that the text on "conformance" mentions giving the user the option
  of viewing text in an unknown character set "as if it was ASCII". This
  is already mentioned for unknown content-types, but NOT for unknown
  character sets.

We hope that this solution is acceptable to all parties.

Speaking for the Nordunet Engineering Task Force MHS working group

                                  Harald Tveit Alvestrand