Re: Text "attachments" to messages

1992-03-27 07:41:15
Excerpts from mail: 27-Mar-92 Re: Text "attachments" to m.. "Alain FONTAINE @sri.ucl (951)

Oh no, please... If, at this stage, it can still be written down that the
choice of encoding method has anything to do with the kind of object
transported, I am afraid a big SHOW-STOPPER flag should be raised.

We're still talking about different problems here. There is NO ambiguity about what the bits actually mean when text is encoded as base64. What there is -- and I interpreted Laurence's concerns as matching my own, possibly incorrectly -- is concern that the correct interpretation will not always be made in certain environments. For example, if you have "application/text" in base64, then you know it has CRLFs, but this isn't exactly optimized for ease of implementation on many platforms where the convention, in the past, has been to assume that the CRLF conversion was done "downstream". There's no reason it can't work in base64, but if you use quoted-printable you may make the implementation EASIER on many platforms. That's all I meant to imply. -- Nathaniel