Re: Text "attachments" to messages

1992-03-26 16:29:58
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1992 16:26:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb(_at_)thumper(_dot_)bellcore(_dot_)com>
To: ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu
Subject: Re: Text "attachments" to messages

I don't think a new type is needed.  I believe that using
application/octet-stream will work fine.  The CRLF issue may be a
problem in some contexts if you use base64 for transfer-encoding, but
should NEVER be a problem if you use quoted-printable.  (That's what the
recent debate about newline-in-quoted-printable was all about.)

Do you propose attaching charset= parameters to application/octet-stream?

I would prefer that octet-stream remain as uninterpreted data, and that
any kind of typed data be handled separately.

Furthermore, I think it is a mistake to insist that quoted-printable be used
for reliable transmission of textual data.  What happens when we want to
send 10646, or text from any charset that isn't mostly ASCII?

Keith