Re: MIME and Postcript - a user perspective

1992-05-04 16:45:38

Steve,

Postscript does not *have* to be `ASCII'.  That is, it can easily have
characters outside the \040-\176 range we normally use as printable
characters.  And I have seen this done in practice with commercial
software.  We have WordPerfect installed on some Sun's here and while
it was being installed I got to look at it's postscript output to see
what it looked like.  The commands it defines for its own convenience
have names in the \001-\037 range ... something which could screw
up an MTA somewhere, usually on BITNET.

Therefore your assumption of `Postscript is a text format' is what
needs some correction. ;-)

        David