Re: Second Draft of "Implications of MIME for MTAs"

1992-05-15 11:44:00
On May 15,  8:21am, Dave Crocker wrote:
} Subject: Re: Second Draft of "Implications of MIME for MTAs"
}
} A "mail gateway" performs store-and-forward electronic mail transfers
} between two environments that are using *different* electronic mail
} format syntax or semantics.  Hence, transfering email to any of the
} existing, national email services, or transfering to any X.400 service,
} or even transfering into a non-MIME RFC822 environment is performed
} by a gateway, rather than a simple relay.

This is a reasonably good definition except that there isn't any way to
identify a "non-MIME RFC822 environment".  If I've compiled metamail and
stowed it away in ~/bin, my environment is MIME-capable even though the
"official" status of my site may be otherwise.  The MTA at the final
destination of the message may have some chance of determining "non-MIME",
but other gateways can do no better than "non-RFC822".

Unless your definition of "non-MIME" is considerably narrower than my
interpretation, e.g. you mean to imply "non-8-bit-clean" or the like ...

--
Bart Schaefer                                      Vice President, Engineering
schaefer(_at_)z-code(_dot_)com                                Z-Code Software