Re: MIME Clarifications wanted

1992-08-20 14:35:48
If I may -- there is a bit of very important philosophy buried here.

We have just seen how various people are building RTF viewers, but I
expect that all RTF generators are on MACs.  And are not likely to be
widely available on UNIX platforms.

This same thing should be expected for lots of other proprietary
"text" generators.  This expectation is one of the basic tenets of the
MIME standards -- To enable exactly this outcome.

What we should expect is that the Proprietary "text" preparation
systems will remain as proprietary as ever, but that cheap openly
available viewers for their output "texts" will be propagated to allow
a wide range of recipients to be able to view what their proprietary
software has been used to create.

This is because readability is good for their market expansion plans!

So, it is really interesting to see this predicted result actually
starting to happen in the open market as vendors act to give us what
we want in their own best interests.

Way to go Nathaniel!  Beautifully done, I'd say!...\Stef