Re: RT nested semantics

1992-08-25 12:25:59
For what it's worth, I made the following design decisions in my
richtext-to-groff converter:

* bold, italic, underline, and fixed pitch are separate attributes that can
be turned on or off independently.  There are only two levels of any of
"<bold>foo</bold>".  Also, anytime you leave an environment, the old
as <bold>foobar</bold>.

* <bigger> and <smaller> are inverses, that is,

* <subscript> and <superscript> affect character size as well as the
baseline.  (However, Dana's argument for making them separate is worth
thinking about.)

Other issues not raised recently:

* the only line breaks that "count" are those indicated by <nl>.
Other line breaks are treated the same as spaces.  This means that

<center>this
is
one
line</center>

appears as a single line, while

appears as four lines.

<indent>, or <indentright>) causes a break in running text.

My understanding is that richtext isn't really designed to give you a lot
more capability than the average crt terminal, and so issues like multiple
levels of bold and underline aren't apropos to what it was designed for.
It's probably a mistake to try to extend richtext to be that flexible.

However, I do think the richtext spec needs some tightening up for the next
go-around.

Keith