Re: quoted-binary: an idea whose time has come?

1992-12-15 08:32:30
Nathaniel writes:

So I can think of three paths by which a "quoted-binary" c-t-e might be
defined:

1.  As part of the Draft Standard version of MIME.

2.  As a separate little RFC.

3.  As part of the netnews RFC revision.

I have no strong feelings about this, actually, though I'm hard at work
on a draft of #1 right now.  Are there good tactical reasons for
preferring one or another?

I think you have listed them in order of decreasing preference; I would
prefer 1 if that doesn't cause problems with the progress of MIME since
that makes it more selfcontained.

Also,  I think the name "quoted-binary" is somewhat misleading.  I think
"quoted-8bit" is actually more descriptive (by analogy to
"quoted-printable").  Comments?

You are right about this; quoted-binary is misleading because it
suggests a link with binary which doesn't exist (a channel supporting
quoted-binary doesn't necessarily support binary, though it *will*
support 8bit). So quoted-8bit would be the way to go, I think.

Why didn't anybody think of this earlier; quoted-printable is more
appropriately called quoted-7bit also :-)

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet:
lwj(_at_)cs(_dot_)kun(_dot_)nl