Re: your mail

1992-12-21 19:56:03
Andrew:

i fully expect within a year or three that
japan (and maybe china) will ask for a plane of their own
assignment (that is, another 64K characters) and then they'll
be happy.

Actually, our wish to have separate plane *WAS* granted in the original
DIS 10646.

We could have been a little happier, *IF* our wish were still granted in
DIS 10646-1.2.

The reason of the denial was obvious. To limit internal character
representaiton 16 bits, which is a false economy of Unicode.

BTW, if you think Japan will get another 64K characters, why Plan9 uses
only 16 bits for internal character code encoding now?

of course, this will screw up the unicode folks big-time
but if you hew to 10646 and the UTF encodings, then everything will
just work.

By your UTF, it will cost 4 (or more) bytes to encode the new 64K
characters.

We are now using only 2 bytes to encode characters.

How can we be happy, then?

As a Japanese, I'm serious about the problem. The possible solution is
to make use of unused (in your UTF) combination of characters.

                                                Masataka Ohta