Re: printable multibyte encodings

1992-12-21 17:46:08
I'd like to suggest that any moderately subdued consideration of the
recent notes on character set (ISO 10646, etc.) shows that the matter
is by no means settled.  I'd also like to suggest that we, an email
working group for the Internet, are most certainly not experts in
the topic of international character sets.

And since IANA provides an entirely viable means of officially registering
ISO 10646 for use within MIME, I can't imagine any reason why this
working group should pursue the matter further.  Specifically, there is
no need or benefit to be gained from modifying the MIME spec, possibly
destabilizing its appropriateness for consideration as a Draft Standard,
in order to include ISO 10646 in the body of the main MIME spec.

Just one wg member's view...

Dave