Re: printable multibyte encodings

1992-12-17 23:17:16
Readers new to Masataka Ohta's comments should know that they are
extremely controversial and do not actually represent the opinion of the
Japanese.  Ohta-san's messages have been a constant source of small and
large fights in the character set standardiation community, and has been
very difficult to come to agreements with.  Interested readers are
advised to visit the archives of ISO10646 at JHUVM.BITNET.

We should not discount the Japanese, Chinese and Korean experience with
large character sets, which is considerable, but we should also not
yield to individuals who speak for all Japanese.  ("We, Japanese,
think...")  Several Japanese companies have in fact embraced ISO 10646.
All I have is old details on this, so others closer to the Japanese home
market should be able to cite the appropriate references and product
announcements.

This has been a public service broadcat, brought to you by one disgusted
standards tracker with insufficient diplomatic skills to shut up.

Best regards,
</Erik>
--
Erik Naggum                 ISO  8879 SGML                    +47 295 0313
                            ISO 10744 HyTime