Re: Richtext and SGML (Was: MIME to Draft Standard)

1993-01-18 16:51:37
Excerpts from ext.ietf-822: 18-Jan-93 Richtext and SGML (Was: MIM.. John
C Klensin(_at_)infoods(_dot_)m (1751*)

    Let's take its separation as a done deed, given Greg's comments and
the fact that I don't think we've heard "keep it in" strongly from anyone
on this round.

Sounds good.  I wish too that there could be some way to rename
`richtext' back to its original name of `richmail', to avoid confusion
with existing richtext standards.

  Given that, would it be reasonable to:
   -- Let richtext go its way, presumably into a revision and another
round at "proposed", and try to strip everything complex (e.g., character
set switching) out of it.  I think, given his comments, that is consistent
with Nathaniel's preferences too.
   -- Those who are interested and have (or are willing to get) the needed
expertise start designing a DTD or profile for SGML that would be, as you
suggest, more appropriate to email and medium-weight text use than
unrestricted SGML.

Excellent idea.  External references in richtext could probably be
jettisoned, too.

What about conformance issues?  Is a MIME-compliant mailer still going
to have to work with richtext, but not with the presumably-more-complex
(harder to parse) Mail-SGML?

Bill