Re: MIME to Draft Standard

1993-01-19 23:16:25
Keith,

Re your request:
:
|   Perhaps you, as an SGML expert, would care to produce a simple
|   definition (or even a concrete example) for a richtext-like language
|   which is of similar size (definition and code) and capability as the
|   current richtext, and which is SGML compatible, but which doesn't
|   require extensive knowledge of SGML to understand or implement?  Then
|   perhaps I and others could see what kinds of changes you are proposing.

To force a new specification of an SGML-conformant language to the size
limits of richtext in RFC 1341 is an exercise in futility.  I refuse to
waste my time to play games under such conditions.

The point must be to define a proper language, not to measure languages by
the size of their definition and supporting code.

I also vehemently disagree with your assessment of simplicity.  RFC 822 is
_not_ simple to implement correctly.  Neither is MIME body parts.  We must
endeavor to make things as simple as possible, and not simpler.

I urge people to think in terms of correctness, and let simplicity follow
from elegance in design, rather than hold simplicity as an a priori design
goal.

Best regards,
</Erik>
--
Erik Naggum                 ISO  8879 SGML                    +47 295 0313
Oslo, Norway                ISO 10744 HyTime          Watch this ^ space