Re: MIME to Draft Standard

1993-01-20 10:32:41
From: Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu>
Subject: Re: MIME to Draft Standard

I'm not an SGML expert, but I read comp.text.sgml pretty regularly.

Perhaps you, as an SGML expert, would care to produce a simple definition
(or even a concrete example) for a richtext-like language which is of
similar size (definition and code) and capability as the current richtext,
and which is SGML compatible, but which doesn't require extensive knowledge
of SGML to understand or implement?  Then perhaps I and others could see
what kinds of changes you are proposing.

This seems to me to be doable.  That is, someone would define a DTD whose
textual representation could easily be parsed by a non-SGML parser.  The
same text could be parsed by either this new parser, or a real SGML parser
which had the DTD available to it.  (I'm assuming the entity declarations
are what let the SGML parser know specific things about parsing the particular
things here).

        David