Re: MIME to Draft Standard

1993-01-21 20:10:43
Excerpts from internet.ietf-822: 21-Jan-93 Re: MIME to Draft Standard
Erik M. van der Poel(_at_)poe (1320)

Yes, yes, there's the issue of: "WHICH compression scheme do we use?
Are there any patent restrictions?" and so on, but PLEASE, someone
more knowledgeable in the compression field than myself, please come
up with a hopefully SIMPLE proposal, unfettered by patent issues, and
probably ignoring the fact that certain types of compression are
better for certain types of data (i.e. the differences between image
compression, audio compression, video compression, and what have you).

PLEASE.  Pretty please?

I believe there was a proposal last year that took the form of C code.
Seriously, that was it.

My impression is that it is hard to overstate the legal mess surrounding
all the widely-available and well-defined compression algorithms.   I
would be delighted to be proven wrong.