Re: MIME to Draft Standard

1993-01-21 22:29:07
My impression is that it is hard to overstate the legal mess surrounding
all the widely-available and well-defined compression algorithms.   I
would be delighted to be proven wrong.

My recollection is that there is an ISO/IEC JTC1 subcommittee working on
an international standard for compression and that they are nearing, or
in, DIS vote.  I would presume that whatever they are coming up with has
been adequately vetted wrt the legal mess.  Whether whatever is left
over is technically worth bothering with, I have no idea--I haven't seen
the thing and probably couldn't evaluate it properly if I did.

Does anyone with more current and active access to JTC1 goings-on
provide any more information on this?  Or tell me I'm dreaming?
   --john