Ohta

1993-03-01 11:02:33
        sarcasm alert! i am forgoing my normal mode because Ohta
pissed me off.

        ohta makes two points. first, he disagrees with my
point it is better to have misdisplayed text than no text.
he of course changes the words and says ``it's much better not
to have any data at all than having half correct (that is, wrong) data.''
No one has suggested that han unification is a DATA error,
the problem, as has been stated MANY times, is that in the
absence of other information, simply displaying the han characters
in a single font may cause unpleasing stylistic variants to appear.

        the second point is a gratuitous denigration of Plan 9.
Well excuuuse me for trying to add an ACTUAL data point to the discussion!
The truth is that right now, there are very few systems that
support multi-script character sets; Plan 9 is one, and i
simply reported my experience. Of course, for Ohta, Plan 9
is just completely broken anyway because it uses 10646 underneath.
his system, of course, is just fine because it supports 2022-jp
and everyone uses it (who would have guessed that japanese speakers
would have leapt at the chance to use a script that supports
japanese writing???).

        sorry to have taken your bandwidth. my spleen
is now vented.

                        andrew