Re: 10646, and all that

1993-03-03 08:14:30
32 bit set of ISO 10646 is identical to 16 bit one.

No.

10646.1, also known as the basic multilingual plane (BMP) can be
competely represented without information loss in 16 bits, otherwise
known as UCS-2.  BMP is code point isomorphic with Unicode, but they are
not the same thing.  While none of 10646.N, N > 1, have been published,
or even entered the "committee draft" stage in the ISO/JTC1 process, is
is anticipated that these will come into being and I understand that the
WG has proposals in front of it that would require doing so.

Introduction and use of ISO 10646.2, when it appears, will presumably
require use of UCS-4 (32 bit), although there appear to be alternatives
in the form of "plane switching"--as with 2022, but with switching of 16
bit objects, not 7 or 8 bit ones.

These are cold, hard, facts folks.  If people would appreciate and
accept them, we might be able to make slightly more progress in this
confused mess.

    john