Re: 10646, and all that

1993-03-07 16:26:32
  Stop redefining it without any good reason.

  Ietf-822 have already spent "the voluminous traffic" on
  its definition. Don't do it again just becauase you
  haven't read it.

I was posed a Q which begged for an answer to "what I thought a charset was", I
provided that answer.

I didnt realise that I was being asked to participate in a debate about a formal
definition, but since I have leaped in, an interesting point is raised.

My definition is a natural one, and is one other readers may bring to the
document.  The MIME document had better be pretty carefull to stress the
differences, if it adopts an unnatural definition.

  That is untolerable.

Unfortunate, maybe.  Untolerable?  That I should state my own opinion?

--
dana s emery <de19(_at_)umail(_dot_)umd(_dot_)edu>