Circular Reasoning

1993-03-01 13:29:22
No one has suggested that han unification is a DATA error,
the problem, as has been stated MANY times, is that in the
absence of other information, simply displaying the han characters
in a single font may cause unpleasing stylistic variants to appear.

As long as "other information" is provided implecitely or explicitely,
it is not a DATA error.

Otherwise, it is the DATA error.

If a character is displayed in a way no one uses in the real life, it
is the error. As the error is caused by the lack of DATA, it is the DATA
error.

      the second point is a gratuitous denigration of Plan 9.
Well excuuuse me for trying to add an ACTUAL data point to the discussion!

Yes, Plan9 was designed to be multi-lingual.

But, the ACTUAL data of you is that Plan9 is not used so much
for multi-lingual purpose.

Then, how can you be certain that Plan9 is multi-lingual?

Please don't assume in advance that Plan9 is multi-lingual.

Plan9 could be an ACTUAL data of the failure of multi-lingual trial.

Or, it could be a success of multi-lingual trial. But you haven't shown
any ACTUAL data to claim so.

The truth is that right now, there are very few systems that
support multi-script character sets; Plan 9 is one, and i
simply reported my experience.

Stop lying. Almost all systems in Japan support multi-script character sets.
Many Unix in the world support EUC: a family of multi-script character sets.
All PCs in Asia support SJIS or its national variants, which is multi-
script character sets. And don't forget the X window!

All of them are in the real use.

I and other Japanse daily use multiple code sets with them.

Moreover, your argument is circular.

        Plan9 supports multi-script character sets because it uses 10646

        10646 is a mutil-script character set because it is used by Plan9

Of course, for Ohta, Plan 9
is just completely broken anyway because it uses 10646 underneath.

I haven't said so. Rather, I say, as you admit, Plan9 is *UNPLEASING*.
Also, I say, as you admit, Plan9 has a defect.

his system, of course, is just fine because it supports 2022-jp
and everyone uses it (who would have guessed that japanese speakers
would have leapt at the chance to use a script that supports
japanese writing???).

I really hate ISO-2022-JP and hope that we can have a truely
multilingual, but simpler, character code set.

                                                Masataka Ohta