Re: 10646, and all that

1993-03-02 06:25:40
As to those who would argue the folding of the various forms of 'a',
and '4', is analogous to the folding of the variant Han characters, I
am not ready to accept that---the difference is that the european
viewer is accustomed to seeing all of the variations, and habitually
perceives them as similar.

The unified Han glyphs *are* similar.  I challenge you to come up with
a Unicode Han character that has dissimilar glyphs when rendered in
the traditional CJK printing styles.  And when you have found one, I
challenge you to *prove* that most Asians wouldn't be able to
interpret it when presented together with other characters.

Those of us who have the ability to alter the font we read our mail in
probably choose a font for ease of reading, when the machine picks one
for you arbitrarily, it is irritating.  When that happens at arbitrary
points in a lengthy document it could get downright agravating.

Oh, come on.  You can still set your preferred Han font even if you
are using straight Unicode/10646.  Saying that the machine will
arbitrarily pick a font is like arguing that a guy can't pee in the
toilet with his zipper closed.

Erik