Re: 10646 etc.

1993-03-02 13:16:30
On Mon, 01 Mar 1993 14:26:06 EST, Mark A Keasling said:
Group A:  Unicode is good enough because you can represent most every charac
ter
          of most every language in 16 bits.  Great for bandwidth.
Group B:  Unicode is not usable because you cannot tell Chinese from
          Japanese from Korean.

Group A: ASCII is good enough because you can represent most every
character of most common languages in 7 bits. Great for bandwidth.

Group B: ASCII is not usable because you can't tell French from
German from Spanish.

We went ahead and standardizes ASCII anyhow.

Disclaimer:  I personally think Unicode is the wrong solution,
but see no reason why we can't standardize it for use between
consenting adults on consenting systems.  The IETF even has
a category called "Optional Standard" where there is *no*
requirement that a system support a given service, but *if*
such a service is supported, *this* is the way it should be done.

'Nuf said.

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Engineer
                                Virginia Tech