Re: 10646 etc.

1993-03-03 01:15:51
Group B: ASCII is not usable because you can't tell French from
German from Spanish.

Urrrrgh, are you refering to the true ASCII, or ia national variant of
ISO 646?

We went ahead and standardizes ASCII anyhow.

We have given different charset name to each national variant haven't we?

Disclaimer:  I personally think Unicode is the wrong solution,
but see no reason why we can't standardize it for use between
consenting adults on consenting systems.

So, let's do it. I made a suggestion on how to do it.How is yours?

The IETF even has
a category called "Optional Standard" where there is *no*
requirement that a system support a given service, but *if*
such a service is supported, *this* is the way it should be done.

So, now, IETF ext822 have an opinion that "charset" should provide enough
profiling information to uniquely identify glyphs.

                                                Masataka Ohta