Re: MacMIME - Proposed standard of how to send Macintosh files with MIME

1993-03-15 02:33:28
Why multipart/appledouble?  What if Microsoft also comes out with a
two-part structure?  Do we call it multipart/ms-double?  How about
calling it multipart/double, or simply multipart/mixed?

You refer to RFC 1341 for the file name parameter, but perhaps you
actually mean RFC 1342?  Is it easy to implement such a parameter for
Mac file names?  I got the impression that Mac file names sometimes
just use the 8th bit without saying which "font" it's in.  Or do they
sometimes also include font tags?  And how does all this fit into RFC
1342's way of doing things?

Since the Mac world doesn't want to destroy the interoperability that
it has already built up with BinHex, it's very sensible to incorporate
it in your spec.  On the other hand, you're recommending Apple Double
so that non-Mac platforms can extract e.g. image/gif body parts.
Would there be any need to extract even more info, such as the
timestamp of the file?

Regards,

Erik