Re: Multipart/Mixed and Compound Documents

1993-03-19 09:20:58
Excerpts from mail: 19-Mar-93 Re: Multipart/Mixed and Com.. "Terry
Crowley"@diamond. (2605*)

My guess is that most implementations will handle things like Slate does and
ignore this issue of the extra CRLF that does or does not end some text
pasage.
That's partly because its easier and partly because the spec doesn't bring it
out very much.  In the spec it is an issue of carefully describing
precisely what data
is associated with what object when you break up a multipart object.  The fact
that it also has subtle formatting implications isn't obvious at all.

I have to agree with you here.  Andrew is very weird in this regard.
The capability to include objects such as pictures and audio right in
the middle of a paragraph is kind of neat, but it isn't clear that it is
tremendously important.  I, for one, don't care much if such data
doesn't look exactly that way when read by non-Andrew MIME readers.  I
wonder if anyone does?  I suspect that Andrew's habit of putting
consecutive non-text objects into a single paragraph is a LITTLE bit
more of a problem, but not much of one, because each object tends to be
big enough that they show up on different lines anyway due to paragraph
filling! -- Nathaniel