Re[2]: Non-ASCII Internet addresses?

1993-05-03 07:51:55
 In <9305031032(_dot_)AA24501(_at_)othello(_dot_)admin(_dot_)kth(_dot_)se> Olle
Jarnefors <ojarnef(_at_)othello(_dot_)admin(_dot_)kth(_dot_)se> writes:

2) One thing that I'm uncertain about is if we can trust the whole
Internet email system to preserve the case of ASCII letters in
addresses.  RFC 822 requires this for the local-part:

     local-part  =  word *("." word)             ; uninterpreted
                                                 ; case-preserved

For the right-hand side of an address, RFC 1034 seems to
at least anticipate a future extension requiring case
preservation:

[...]

--
Olle Jarnefors, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm
<ojarnef(_at_)admin(_dot_)kth(_dot_)se

Just a note (IMHO)-

  As one of the authors of a commercial MIME compatible e-mail package, I
too would like to see a non US-centric means of supporting e-mail addresses
and header information. However, at this point I have to question its
usefulness "in the real world" without a tried and tested global directory
service (i.e. an X.500) that would prevent mail users from having to
try to read encoded mail addresses. This said, I would have to admit that
not seeing X.500 (or similar) anywhere near global implementation, and
considering that "figuring out" of e-mail names by phonetic spelling or
such never worked that well across languages anyway, I can't see what
supporting some sort of scheme would harm. It would likely aid those used
to communicating in their own (non english) languages, and wouldn't make it
all that much more difficult for the english speakers (who probably couldn't
spell their names anyway ;-) )

 Two notes on your scheme though: As we represent a package that runs on
Hewlett-Packard (HP3000) computers and necessarily provide a gateway to
HP's HPDesk e-mail system, we have to 1) support case-insensitive mail
names, and 2) use "/"s within mailbox names as HPDesk uses this notation
to specify "locations" and "sub-locations".

                                                 -Chris Bartram