Re: Non-ASCII Internet addresses?

1993-05-03 11:40:03
From: "David Herron" <david(_at_)twg(_dot_)com>
There is already a mechanism for encoding funny characters into a header
[..] However it is not quite suitable for use in the *address* itself.

[...] All of which was covered in discussion some weeks ago.  But it sounded
as if you weren't aware of all this.  If I am mistaken, please forgive me.

I was indeed aware of it, and I didn't express myself clearly this morning,
sorry.

What I was suggesting was that the mail address be retained unchanged - and
therefore still a 7-bit string, with no added semantics to punctuation.
This alone amounts to doing nothing at all.
In addition, I was suggesting an _extra_ header that contained an optional
encoding of one's name.

Hence, instead of