Re: Massive Content-Type definition ideas & Gopher

1993-06-07 13:43:34
Keith Moore wrote:

It's not anywhere nearly that bad.  First of all, we don't need multiple
compression algorithms -- we need one that everyone can use freely.

I slightly disagree with this.  There are 2 types of compression: 1)
content-type specific compression algorithm, 2) general purpose compression.

The content-type specific compression is tuned specifically for a certain
type of data, e.g. audio uses adpcm audio compression.  Unless we create
a new subtype for the compressed audio data, we need to support this type of
compression algorithm.

On the other hand, the general purpose compression can be used anywhere else.

-Vincent