Re: Massive Content-Type definition ideas & Gopher

1993-06-08 10:55:41
Excerpts from ext.ietf-822: 8-Jun-93 Re: Massive Content-Type de.. Steve
Dorner(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)co (1179*)

zcat keiths_wonder_widget.tar.Z | tar xvf -

as

tar xvf - keiths_wonder_widget.tar

and the former saves me some disk space.

So I would count this as another case of a specialized data type that
(practically speaking) has its own compression.

I think Steve's got a point here.  "Content-Type:
application/compressed-tar-file; compressor=compress" would make a lot
of sense in this particular case.  I'm not sure it would hold for the
more general (and I think different) case of wanting to send compressed
bodies in general.

Bill