Re: SNPP - A Clarification

1993-09-03 15:06:20
At 10:14 AM 9/3/93 -0500, Allen Gwinn wrote:
SNPP is designed to sit on a box (gateway) plugged into the Internet on
one side, and a serial line to an IXO port on the other.  It is designed to
have real-time interaction, and real-time response reporting.  In other
words, when you have finished a message, requested a "Send" and received the
message "Page Sent," this means that the data has actually been delivered
to the paging terminal and is being processed to the uplink.  About
20 seconds later, your recipient's beeper should ring.

I guess the key words here are "real time" and "simplicity."  I know that
this was a point of a little confusion, and hopefully this will clear
it up.

I can see that there is a significant benefit to doing "SNPP" to the paging
center over doing SMTP to some random Internet host, which is then trusted
to talk to the paging center "eventually".  But is there a big functional
difference between doing "SNPP" to the paging center and doing SMTP to the
paging center?

Seems to me that you don't need a new protocol, you only need to be able to
do the old protocol to a specific server.

This lets you use existing SMTP clients if you want, or do it by hand (SMTP
isn't hard to do--ask any sophomoric mail forger).  It lets you entrust
your page to the winds by dumping it out on the store & forward mail
network, or be quite specific by connecting directly to the server you
trust to deliver your page.  Furthermore, it gives non-Internet connected
folks the ability to page, from BITNet/UUCP/Compuserve/etc..

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Inc.