Re: Hypothetically speaking...

1993-09-13 08:14:02
I think we have two totally different models operating here.  The
question is, who assigns pager numbers?  If pager numbers are, like fax
numbers, part of the telephone numbering system (NANP in North America),
then the DNS system works, and the choice of vendor is
address-transparent (as has recently become the case with 800 service in
the US, for example).  If pager numbers are to be assigned in a
proprietary fashion, then addresses are FUNDAMENTALLY vendor-specific,
and the pager+number(_at_)vendor(_dot_)com system is the only one that makes
sense
to me.

Or maybe *I* am the one who is missing something....