Re: A spec for showing language in MIME headers

1993-11-10 19:03:21
Dana S Emery writes:

  This discussion about linguistic details, language
  markings, language representation, and how we can tag
  everything is very interesting.

  However is it something which this group has a high
  degree of expertise in?

We are the experts for MIME headers and 822 issues.

  I am going to attempt mind-reading....bear with me.

  I think what is being ask is "Do we have enough expertise to decide if

  is all that is needed? or do we have to do something like

  or maybe even this

  or maybe even .............................. "

  To make the example less abstract. If I remember my linquistics correctly
  these are all valid:

   Actually Content-language-Geographical-Region: headers are not correct
   they should be limited to mining cities (or cities that started off as
   mining cities):

   Given all this, isn't this enough:

   Dana, I do agree with you that all of this would be really coool to
   include into MIME; however, I think we need to know what an appropriate
   breakdown would be - and to define the headers accordingly. The more I
   think about this the more cautious I become.

   The above example is a very real problem, we hear it in our lives everyday.
   I would love to be able to send mail that when played back makes my words
   sound like a New Yorker (which I am - originally). But when you look at it
   you see that it is a very complicated problem - and this is only 20th c.
   American (not even English:-) .

   If I get some time I will try and visit with a few linguistics profs.
   they might have the answer and the answer might be trivial. In the mean
   time I don't this we should drop the matter, I think that it still must
   be solved (Glyphs aren't going to cut it in the example given above).

   BTW: you do realize that as soon as a person writes a program that
                given an input file and a desired language can spit out a file
        written in the universal linguistics language (which I have blank
        out of my memory - too much mind-reading earlier) and vice-versa
                the whole notion of Content-language* becomes obsolete.

Neophytos Iacovou
Honeywell Systems & Research Center
iacovou(_at_)src(_dot_)honeywell(_dot_)com
Minneapolis, Mn, 55418