Re: Language tags: new version

1994-08-11 09:48:21
Except perhaps tell me that I can use a ISO-10646-J font if I don't have a
ISO-10646-K font and

That's no exception.

I'm not sure how this fits in with the use of ISO 10646, where a language tag
is required -- otherwise you end up using Unicode as a glyph set, which is
not at all useful.  You need to know if you are setting Kanji or Han.

I assume you would want to use JIS 221, or, in China, GB13000, the Japanese
and Chinese (respectively) National Standards corresponding to ISO10646.
To do this, you will need language tags.

Of course, you could simply punt the issue and say that if people want to
use Kanji characters they must use an sgml mime-type.

I do agree that character set and font must not be confused.  This was the
big problem with early Unicode implementations such as Microsoft's --
it's not actually a problem with Unicode, although it does seem that way at
first glance :-), and I think it's a shame that people jump on Unicode as
a solution to a problem it doesn't actually address.  Mapping from character
codes to glyphs _is_ part of Unicode, but it requires an external mechanism
to specify the current script.

How would you feel about a Script field instead of a language one?

Lee

--
Liam Quin, Manager of Contracting, SoftQuad Inc +1 416 239 4801
lee(_at_)sq(_dot_)com