Re: "Obsoletes" is a much needed Internet mail feature

1994-08-18 08:01:58
Jacob Palme>
  My personal experience is that this feature [Obsoletes:...]
  is ***very*** useful and ***much*** needed.

Privacy needs to be a concern here, unless this feature were
backed up by some form of authentication I would hesitate to
consider it a _good thing_, even assuming it had widespread
implementation.  I would not want to see the enablement of
a way for hackers to conduct "mail-wars".

Yes, its nice to be able to ask the postman to handback that
ill-conceived mail you just posted, but, as in real life,
sometimes you are too late to catch the truck, and even if
you do the postman will often refuse based on identification
issues.

The moral is to encourage people to consider their words before
hiting send.  It helps when the composition interface takes the
trouble to be supportive; generally true for personal computers,
rarely so for mainframes :-(
--
dana s emery <de19(_at_)umail(_dot_)umd(_dot_)edu>