Re: "Obsoletes" is a much needed Internet mail feature

1994-08-18 22:59:45
"Supersedes:" is not documented in any RFC that I am aware, however it
is in widespread use in netnews.  It is documented in Henry Spencer's
draft follow-on document to 1036.

That's what I figured. What's the location of the most recent version of
the draft?

The header takes as a value a single message-id, which the message is
to replace.  I believe the follow-on document may allow multiple
whitespace-separated message-ids, but existing software doesn't handle
this.

Interesting. The semantics are precisely those of obsoletes as defined
in RFC1327. (I really dislike the whitespace separation, but that's an
RFC822 artefact and hard to argue against.)

                                Ned