Re: "Obsoletes" is a much needed Internet mail feature

1994-08-19 00:45:38
What is wrong with my proposal of showing the user the new version (which
is what most users want to see) but clearly indicating to them that this
is an obsoletion, and providing them with a command to see the previous
version also if they so wish? This is the way we have implemented it,
and our experience is that it works fine!

There is nothing at all wrong with this, but it does not constitute
cancellation in any real sense, so this term should not be used. This is just
another sort of threaded viewer not appreciably different from one capable of
tracking in-reply-to and references fields.

You must have misread my proposal if you understood int to mean that
messages should actually be remotely deleted from mailboxes without
control of the mailbox owner.

Well, all I know is what you said. You started this discussion talking about
message cancelling and talked about the way netnews works. I, along with
everyone else, took you to mean a comparable facility in email, and some others
think that the original, more radical approach has real merit. I have no
problem with what you're proposing now.

                                Ned