Re: "Obsoletes" is a much needed Internet mail feature

1994-08-18 19:26:02
If all you meant is that "signatures are not *always* necessary and not
*always* sufficient", then fine, we agree.

Cancellation of messages in transit is absolutely unacceptable

False again.  It's sometimes acceptable and sometimes not.

Well, in my opinion it is unacceptable, period.

I certainly won't argue with that being your opinion.  :-)

I have yet to be convinced that there is a single, solitary case where
cancellation in transit would prove useful.

Here's one.  I accidentally mail a 5 megabyte video when what I meant to
mail was an external reference to a 5 megabyte video.  Cancellation in
transit would be quite useful here; save lots of bandwidth, disk, and cpu
on intermediate sites.

One thing that makes in-transit cancellation at least *interesting* is that
it mirrors one example in the paper world.  If I FedEx someone a package, I
can have that package returned to me undelivered, so long as I call FedEx
early enough in the process.  The Internet currently works much more like
the US Post Office, where you should be greatful if packages get delivered
at all, and they'll laugh in your face if you want one back.

Perhaps we have no choice but to be the USPS.  I'd like to at least think
about whether we could be FedEx, though.

beneficial. I never said there weren't. However, this doesn't mean that these
operations need to be part of the transport infrastructure.

I didn't say they did.  "In transit" was just one of four states I listed,
and I never said that cancellation "needed" to work there; just that it
would be OK if it did.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated