Re: "Obsoletes" is a much needed Internet mail feature

1994-08-18 18:44:54
At 7:07 PM 8/18/94, Ned Freed wrote:
For starters, the model of ownership for news is quite different from the one
for email.

I *entirely* agree that the way news handles cancellation would be very bad
for mail.

But what is "the one model of ownership for mail"?

It seems to me that there is no defined email ownership model on the
Internet; rather, there is a de facto one due to the limits of current
standards and implementations.  Very much the same way that, before MIME,
there was no defined way to transfer non-textual data.

It seems to me that one of the things that needs to be done is clarify the
ownership models currently in use, and decide which one(s) (if any) are
reasonable and useful and supportable.

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated