Re: Newline codes on different machines

1994-09-12 10:08:04
In particular, there are differences in newline conventions.  UNIX uses
LF, DOS/Windows uses CRLF.  Don't know about the Mac - CRLF?  "Just send
8" would seem to interfere with translation from one into the other.

        Absolutely.   This is why I've been  pushing for / working on
a clean and clear definition of  "plain text".   Something we can sanely
translated from/to.

In the Macintosh, the newline code is CR, only CR, no LF!

        I think that's what VAX/VMS uses.   VM/CMS (totally different
from the VAX, though some are confused) doesn't use CR or LF.   Lines
(records) on CMS (and CP) are delimited out of band.

Jacob Palme                  E-mail: jpalme(_at_)dsv(_dot_)su(_dot_)se
                           Phone: +46-8-664 77 48 or +46-8-16 16 67
Department of Computer and   Fax: +46-8-664 77 48 between 9 am & 2 pm WET
Systems Sciences (DSV)       Postal address: Skeppargatan 73,
Stockholm University       S-11530 Stockholm, Sweden

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)rice(_dot_)edu>, Rice University, Information Systems
"Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men,