Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-12 09:19:02
keld(_at_)dkuug(_dot_)dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
Well, I think we should do it right. That would at least include
an ENNTP specification for 8-bit NNTP transfer. We should avoid
quoted-printable for 7-bit transfers.

This doesn't work in news.  News is a flooding system, not a
point-to-point one.  You can't change the content of messages during
transport, it causes all sorts of problems.

We should allow 8-bit chars in headers fields.

Without character set information, such 8-bit information is useless.
Most enclaves assume a single 8-bit character set, this does not scale
to a global communication system.

--
_.John G. Myers         Internet: jgm+(_at_)CMU(_dot_)EDU
                        LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up