Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-11 17:50:50
Mr Rhys Weatherley writes:

Forgive me if I sound a bit niave, but wouldn't it be enough to say the
following?

      For mail, the only transfer encodings that are recommended for
      general use are "7bit", "quoted-printable", and "base64".  For news,
      "8bit" may be added to this set.  Other transfer encodings may
      be applicable in restricted environments.  Gateways between mail
      and news should take care to translate "8bit" into "quoted-printable".
      It is considered an error to transmit text taken solely from the
      US-ASCII subset of a ISO-8859-X character set as "8bit".

Well, I think we should do it right. That would at least include
an ENNTP specification for 8-bit NNTP transfer. We should avoid
quoted-printable for 7-bit transfers. We should allow 8-bit chars
in headers fields.

Keld