Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-13 13:12:37
        I think  "no 8bit characters in headers"  is a reasonable
requirement even if the (majority of) the transfer path is 8-bit clean.
Headers are (today)  more for the software than for the user.   It's
nice that they are humanly readable (I STRONGLY support that everywhere)
but headers don't have to support full ISO-8859-*.

I am also wary of using of "8bit" characters in news article header fields,
both because of the numerous mail-to-news gateways, and because of
the potential for "8bit stripping" to change 'ordinary' 8bit characters
into 'special' ASCII characters.

(following John's suggestion...replies directed to
ietf-822(_at_)dimacs(_dot_)rutgers(_dot_)edu)

Keith