Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-13 09:10:47
"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu> writes:
I believe Keith's contention (feel free to correct me if I misunderstood
you, Keith!) is that the NetNews servers which are deployed are all
8-bit clean.

Bnews is reportedly not 8-bit clean.  Then again, Bnews botches a lot
of things.  I don't know how many non-8bit clean systems are deployed,
nor do I know how many of them are non-leaf sites.

That being said, my main problem with the "just send 8-bit" argument is
that ties you to only one character set, and that's a bad thing....

Just-send-8 certainly is a bad thing.  Character sets need to be
labeled.  That effectively leaves "7-bit only" and "8-bit MIME".

There is no negotiated-transport-upgrade path in news like there is in
mail.  Whatever transport restrictions exsist will be there forever.
There will be, for example, no way to send raw binary messages as
news.

--
_.John G. Myers         Internet: jgm+(_at_)CMU(_dot_)EDU
                        LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up