Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-09 17:59:01
On Fri, 09 Sep 94 15:45:15 -0700, Erik E. Fair wrote:
As one of the original authors of NNTP, and as a participant in the
MIME effort, I can authoritatively say that NNTP was indeed explicitly
7-bit NETASCII, and anyone just sending 8 bits is in violation of
protocol.

This is the statement I wanted.

But just to be sure that I understand, is it correct that this statement also
means that it is a violation of the NNTP protocol to send 8-bit data that is
character-set labelled with MIME?  In other words,

If we were to send 8-bit data, this is what we would do.  This isn't ``just
send 8-bits''.  But, I think that this behavior is presently banned.  Correct?

The whole idea behind MIME was to get the user interface
software changed to properly support character sets other than ASCII
*independent* of transport and it does no damn good if we don't label
the silly things which is where the "just send 8 bits" idiocy leaves
us. This goes for NetNews too.

Agreed.  Death to non-MIME UAs.