Re: 8-bit transmission in NNTP

1994-09-10 07:44:38
At 7:37 PM 9/9/94, Mark Crispin wrote:
The claim of the 8-bit NNTP proponents is that the NNTP infrastructure is
already 8-bit clean, and so there's no need to be so pessimistic in our
assumptions.  We can assume 8-bit clean, unless told otherwise.

The entire issue is whether or not this claim is true...
Erik's message, and certain NNTP documents, imply that this claim is false.

You cannot answer questions about implementations by referring to the standard.

If the actual implementations are 8-bit clean, then let us rectify the
choice in the standard, and make NNTP officially an 8-bit clean protocol.

Encoding has a high backward-compatibility cost.  Yes, the encoded bytes
arrive, but not in a form that is acceptable to the vast majority of their
intended audience.  It should be avoided if possible.

Since I only use MIME UAs, I never see quoted-printable; so I don't hate it.

I never see quoted-printable either, and I still hate it, because my users
hate it, because their correspondents DON'T have MIME-capable UA's, and
report quoted-printable as "corruption".

--
Steve Dorner, Qualcomm Incorporated
  Whosoever has lived long enough to find out what life is, knows how deep a