The Swedish Initiative

1994-11-17 08:04:03
Dear Mr. Ohta,

It would seem that your comments regarding the Swedish initiative to
implement MIME as a method of dealing with the problems of multiple
character sets has occasioned debate. I would like to point out a few
things:

(1) Your arguments are absurdly out of touch with reality. No one can at
    this point in time seriously consider adoption of a single, all-purpose
    character set.

(2) Even if such a thing was possible, it is questionable as to whether it would
    be desirable. Such an approach is essentially static; it leaves little room
    for change or expansion. Using MIME we can add new character sets as
    needed.

(3) I have heard many "perfect and final" soultions proposed during my
    career. Nothing has ever come of these. I don't think anything ever will.
    Experience shows that dynamic standards which can respond to changing
    technology are generally most successful. This philosophy is embodied in
    MIME.

I would like to add that I consider your style appalling and
unprofessional. Your so-called "technical" observations are, to say the
least, extremely questionable. I get the impression from your notes that
you are not truly interested in the problems we are trying to solve here
but rather in creating controversy and confusion.

I cannot imagine why you detest MIME so much but apparently you do. This
opinion seems to be at the root of your vitrolic criticism. Let me make it
simple for you:

        We are going to use MIME in Sweden and nothing you can
        say or do will have the slightest effect on that decision.

If this unacceptable for you I suggest that you dry up and blow away.

Regards/

Austin Shelton                                  IP:
austins(_at_)cdg(_dot_)chalmers(_dot_)se
AppleTalk/WWW Support                           Tel: +46 31 772 2003
Chalmers Networking Group                       Fax: +46 31 772 3663
Chalmers University of Technology               AppleLink: SW1096
S-41296 Gothenburg
SWEDEN                  URL: http://www.chalmers.se/CDG/Staff/Austin-E.html

                                "Slime?  Mud hole!?  My home this is!"
                                                                     --Yoda