Re: The Swedish Initiative

1994-11-17 12:10:22

May be there is something wrong with me, but many of Masataka Ohta's
arguments do make sense to me.

First, I am not a character set expert and because of that some of
this discussion is going over my head. I expect that the same is true
of many others on these mainling lists ....

The Japanese (non latin) experience having gone beyond localization
and into globalization/internationalization may be of significant
value.

I want to keep an open mind to Masataka Ohta's comments/arguments.

On Thu, 17 Nov 1994 16:03:27 +0100,
austins(_at_)cdg(_dot_)chalmers(_dot_)se (Austin Shelton) said:

  Austin> Dear Mr. Ohta,
  Austin> It would seem that your comments regarding the Swedish initiative to
  Austin> implement MIME as a method of dealing with the problems of multiple
  Austin> character sets has occasioned debate. I would like to point out a few
  Austin> things:

  Austin> (1) Your arguments are absurdly out of touch with reality. No one can
at
  Austin>     this point in time seriously consider adoption of a single,
all-purpose
  Austin>     character set.

Why. He is saying there is one.

  Masataka> ISO-2022-INT-* is the one.

Austin,

If you think that what he is saying is not true. Say why.

Masataka,

please tell us what ISO-2022-INT-* is all about ...
Both in theory and in practice.

  Austin> (2) Even if such a thing was possible, it is questionable as to
whether it would
  Austin>     be desirable. Such an approach is essentially static; it leaves
little room
                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Who says so? Why should such an approach be "essentially static".

  Austin>     for change or expansion. Using MIME we can add new character sets
as
  Austin>     needed.

  Masataka> No, we need additions of repertoire forever.

Clearly, Masataka is not approaching it as "essentially static".
It seems to be extesible ...

  Austin> (3) I have heard many "perfect and final" soultions proposed during my
  Austin>     career. Nothing has ever come of these. I don't think anything
ever will.
  Austin>     Experience shows that dynamic standards which can respond to
changing
  Austin>     technology are generally most successful. This philosophy is
embodied in
  Austin>     MIME.

My understaning is that ISO-2022-INT-*/MIME positions are not
either/or but potentially complementary.

  Austin> I would like to add that I consider your style appalling and
  Austin> unprofessional. Your so-called "technical" observations are, to say
the
  Austin> least, extremely questionable. I get the impression from your notes
that
  Austin> you are not truly interested in the problems we are trying to solve
here
  Austin> but rather in creating controversy and confusion.

  Austin> I cannot imagine why you detest MIME so much but apparently you do.
This
  Austin> opinion seems to be at the root of your vitrolic criticism. Let me
make it
  Austin> simple for you:

I have seen no reason to conclude that he detest's MIME.

  >> The discussion is wrongly comparing discussing 3 completely separate
  >> issues (at least). That is worse that "apples and oranges", worse
  >> even than "chevres et choux" (ie. goats and cabbages).

  Masataka> So, I think that the issue is a little less worse to be "grapes,
  Masataka> wine or brandy". I eat/drink all of them but prefer Chambertine
  Masataka> and Bas Armagnac. Don't you?

  Masataka>                                     Masataka The Drunken Ohta

He seems to prefer something else in addition to MIME.

  Austin>         We are going to use MIME in Sweden and nothing you can
  Austin>         say or do will have the slightest effect on that decision.

  Austin> If this unacceptable for you I suggest that you dry up and blow away.

Is that professional?

  Austin> Regards/

I find this discussion most intersting and amusing :-).

Although I don't think that Masataka needs any encouragements,
I just wanted to throw in my two cents and keep an open mind.

...Mohsen.