Re: MIME/news

1994-12-01 12:37:50
     I believe that Dave Crocker's earlier comments about the need to
     identify a character set when trying to obtain international
     interoperability are equally pertinent in this context as well.  Even
     with the USENET stuff, national groups are available outside of the
     enclave - I had access to many of the Japanese groups while living in
     the San Francisco area.  Here in Hong Kong I have access as well to
     many of these groups, and it would be nice if I could easily identify
     the character set.  The HK groups for instance see regular
     contributions from the USA - the idea of a confined enclave in this
     environment is no longer appropriate.

     Your example of the pictures groups is an especially interesting one.
     What would you propose for the default to be?  The last time I
     checked, people were exchanging GIF, JPEG, MPEG, TIFF, PCX, BMP, and
     at times other image formats in some of these groups?  Seems to me
     that the proper identification of the content in these messages is
     just as applicable as character set information.

     These are similar problems that all seem to call for the same type of
     solution - if you expect for a recipient to be able to do anything
     reasonable with the message you are sending - you need to tag it in
     such a way that the recipient has a clue as to how to handle it.

     Anyway, just my $0.02 worth...

     Best Regards,

     Tim Kehres
     International Messaging Associates Ltd