Re: SWEDISH CHARACTERS IN EMAIL: THE SUNET INITIATIVE

1994-12-01 11:49:36
Thank you for good three reports.  They look like me the same flame as
one by someone who cannot read MIME messages since he/she do not
install metamail.  In such case, how do you answer?

        The point is that MIME supports ISO-2022.   You sent it labeled
as such and we could at least do *something* with what we got.   Before
MIME,  there'd be no way to know it was 2022  (except for context).

        MIME is  "on your side".   We on this list are  "on your side".
Everyone wants to help you,  and that will probably result in greater
deployment of ISO-2022.   Why then must you demand that it be  "done
yesterday"?   Why are you complaining to the very ones who are trying
to help?   You don't seem to understand that there are issues beyond
the control of those on this list.

        You don't seem to understand that there are economies of scale.
I work for a university that will NOT deploy ISO-2022 in the forseeable
future.   The more I argue with management to support such things,  the
less management listens to me about the yet more critical things,  like
O/S issues.   [talking about Rice,  not the U of A]   This is not to say
that 2022 isn't important,  but one must have an operating system before
one can run the programs to display your_favourite_character_set.

        If you  "back off"  it's more likely to happen your way.

        Does that make sense?   I don't speak Japanese.   I'm sorry;
I only know two spoken languages.   (another economy of scale)   If I
knew Japanese,  I could probably express the thought more clearly.
But since I live in a part of the world where Spanish and English are
spoken.   Learning Japanese would not have helped me until now.

        Si usted quiere que yo use ISO-2022, @Por que no hablas espaol?
El espaol es mas bonito que japones,  y es mas facil de entender.

In addition, if the number of people who can read the ISO-2022-JP-2
message is less than the other in this list, it may imply that the
most of the people who can read and write ISO-2022-JP-2 messages daily
basis are not interested in the discussions held in this list since
the internationallization has been already finished by that
technology.  In other words, people who don't know that fact may be
only subscribing this list (:-).

        It seems clear that you've put a lot of time and effort into
2022.   I am sure that you want to guard that investment.   If so,
then support MIME,  because MIME supports 2022.

        If you find in the future that all the non-Japanese nations
reject 2022  (I'm not saying that will happen,  but it's possible),
then don't get your feelings hurt.   You're not the first group to create
something wonderful that lost-out in the market for  "consumer"  reasons.
Beta was better than VHS,  but we all use VHS.   There are several
excellent operating systems that have lost to UNIX,  not that UNIX is bad,
but with the death of these non-UNIX systems,  so died their unique
strengths,  never implemented on UNIX because it was too expensive
or too took much time.   And all this is because people decided that
they were satisfied with the cheaper implementation.

In my feeling, anti-ISO-2022-* people don't try to use the widely
spread mule to examine the feasibility of the methodology.  I would
like to recommend you make discussions after the enough experiences.

        Discuss after experience?   That's fair.   I'm sure we all agree
about that.   But you're wrong to call us  "anti-ISO-2022-* people".
NO ONE ON THIS LIST IS OUT TO DESTROY 2022.

It is not ideal but practical system.  If you ftp it, you can use it.
If you don't have any experiences, I don't count you.  I think it is
the least manner for having technical discussions.

        Right,  but again,  you're not seeing the  economies_of_scale.
If you think *I* am being rude for discarding mule without trying it,
then I must think *you* are being rude for assuming I have the time to
evaluate it.   Again,  I'm wrestling with the  "consumerist"  mentality
of my bosses.   Japan has gotten  RICH  off the consumerist attitude of
the electronics buying world.   I have this nice Sony Discman on my desk
as a testimony to that.   Now  "consumerism"  threatens your beloved
ISO-2022.   Hmmm...  what can I say?

                                                   I belive people
listed in this list are not users but engineers.  Sorry for you who
have enough experiences.

        And what are you?   User or engineer?

--
Rick Troth <troth(_at_)ua1vm(_dot_)ua(_dot_)edu>, Houston, Texas, USA
http://ua1vm.ua.edu/~troth/